Thursday 14 July 2011

“Rock journalism is people who can’t write interviewing people who can’t talk for people who can’t read.” – Frank Zappa


As I assume most of us know, Frank was a very talented music artist loved and hated by many. At least he had his own voice; I’ll give that to him. He was not afraid to speak his honest mind. Maybe that was his downfall and why so many people couldn’t stand him.

At first I had to read this statement a few times to fully understand its meaning and true power. It seems like there is a lot of anger and irritation behind this statement. Again it is a very honest and direct statement, and maybe also true.

As I am not of great knowledge on this topic and don’t have much to say, I still have an opinion. I think before you go into rock journalism, do your homework!! Know and understand the music and the people involved, be open to new forms of rock and be objective. Most of all, be prepared to be ambushed and maybe even attacked by a few rock stars who don’t agree with what you have written, especially if it is about them.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment